Friday, August 03, 2007

A Day's Considerations

I am taking a vacation day in anticipation of our good friends Cass and Lynn arriving. Henry is asleep upstairs and I get to enjoy a bit of rare downtime. I went into work this morning to hear about the new HR re-organization. My colleague and I were supposed to get a promotion and I thought it appropriate to be there in person. The meeting itself was a relative disaster -- our senior leader was neither articulate, nor inspiring and when our org chart was put up, neither Stacey nor I had a new title. Turns out, the VP was not planning to make the announcement today, despite the fact that we were told yesterday that he would...I left both disappointed and distrusting that this organization can and will honor its word. More and more I feel like my work world is a play of funny-house mirrors. Nothing ever is actually as it seems.

The promotion to Senior Manager, Organizational Effectiveness will be a good one, when it comes. I have made a significant contribution to the the organization and will continue to do so while there. I am proud of the Success Skills for Managers program we have built, as well as the leadership coaching we have initiated. I just wish the senior leadership would model the behaviors we are trying to encourage, as this would dramatically change employees' perceptions of their integrity and effectiveness.

The weekend holds wonderful things to come! Cass and Lynn's arrival is long-awaited! It will be so nice to share our home with them and have them get time with Henry (who is walking and talking these days!). The Festival at Sandpoint began last night with the Spokane Orchestra and we spent a lovely evening in the warm summer air, drinking wine with our friend Timmy, listening to Pops and playing with Henry in the grass. In the days to come, we will hear Johnny Lang, Lyle Lovett, Madeline Peyroux, Los Lonely Boys and Jackie Greene, along with others. It is always a joyous event -- everyone from Sandpoint coming together in festive, festival fun!

Tomorrow Lynn plans to swim the Long Bridge swim, an annual event in town, and I will suit up for the new Dover triathlon on Sunday http://www.racecenter.com/doverbay/. While I have not trained sufficiently, I am hoping my general slow-but-steady energy will help pull me through! Shannon and team are launching SAP, so we hope to see her as much as possible...

No comments: