Monday, April 03, 2006

Sunday Light Considerations

Daylight savings...that which I loathe in Fall comes today to open arms bringing early morning light into the bedroom, stirring me fully awake at 6:04am, ready to take on a new day. Light seems needed of late as both horomones and work stress have me rather moody and disquieted. I am back to perseverations on the value of one's work and how we make a difference in this lifetime -- considering how to explain to this little one growing inside that s/he must find the path to contentment and satisfaction on his/her own...not alone...but ultimately of his/her own actions and choosing. Moments stuck in the quagmire of my own mind pain both Shannon and me, though she handles it like a champ. I want to chalk it all up to pregnancy but know this is a crutch too easily afforded. The light does bring a certain amount of shift and perspective -- and at the hardest moments -- simple brightness to see my own shadow on the ground so I can marvel(and laugh) at the shape I am becoming -- big-bellied and all.

Lighter considerations...

Chanced upon 2 treasures this week!

Treasure #1: A co-worker sold me her fabulous Nikon Venturer binoculars for a mere $25 so I can begin in earnest to be a bird watcher. I have recently identified in the handy Peterson's Field Guide:
The Western Chickadee
Grouse -- either Blue or Spruce (still too novice to tell)
Bald eaglers (don't need a book for this one!)
The Belted Kingfisher

My love for hiking with Java poses some challenge to any birdwatching expertise I hope to achieve, as his presence is usually unwelcomed by the winged ones...even if he only has three legs. But as Spring comes closer, the birds are more plentiful around the house and down by the preserve -- so I am hoping to at least meet our locals.

Treasure #2 was finding out that the old guitar I have been carting around the country for years (which had been stored in my parents' garage for decades -- I believe it was Deb's first musical instrument?) can not only be re-strung, but is worth being re-strung according to the local music store owner, as it is a really fine instrument and perfect as a learning tool! I have decided that since Shannon is such a virtuoso on the piano, I need to at least attempt a bit of musical aptitude so that we can play as a family! So starting in April, I am going to be taking guitar lessons from a friend who guides hunters in the Fall/Winter and teaches guitar and does construction in the Spring/Summer. I am eager to learn and hope the sounds settle into the womb nicely for the kid's easy listening.

Recent enjoyments:
A fabulous weekend in Seattle with friends -- celebrating birthdays, taking long walks in the park, downtime just talking and being.

The World's Fastest Indian -- a film with Anthony Hopkins about achieving a life-long goal and all that it takes to do so.

Sight Hound -- a novel by Pam Houston about love and friendship and a three-legged dog.

Buddy Barnes' 65th birthday celebration -- low key family occaision but filled with love.

Now, off again to walk in the light...

No comments: